CAREERS - QA/QC MANAGER
Excalibur is fast-becoming the food industry’s preferred meat & seafood seasoning company. Our tantalizing flavors are used by hundreds of customers in all 50 states and 7 countries – everyone from large chain grocers to food processors, from neighborhood meat shops to competitive grillers – they all count on the Legendary Quality & Royal Flavor that only Excalibur products can provide.
Headquartered in Illinois, Excalibur is a family-owned business with more than 33 years to our name. We continue to grow and expand every year because of the dedication and commitment of our employees. As the popularity of our products spreads far and wide, we are looking for someone to help us continue our forward momentum and market expansion.
Currently, we are looking for a Quality Assurance\Quality Control Manager to be located at our 45,000 square foot facility in Pekin, Illinois. The management position is primarily responsible for ensuring that food products meet standards set by all regulatory authorities are achieved. You will be directly responsible for the leadership of all food safety and quality assurance activity in a food processing facility. This role includes maintaining GMP, HACCP, SQF, Kosher, Organic programs including documentation, all recalls, manufacturing and process control, as well as audits. This role assists in overseeing a solid team, partnering with Production and providing guidance for elevated food safety standards by implementing and enforcing food safety and security procedures for our facility.
This includes developing and reviewing quality and safety policies and managing audits by third-party inspectors, as well as training employees. You will also prepare reports on food quality status to relay upper-level management and may keep records of all tests and inspections that have been conducted. In this role, you will be responsible for micro analysis, quality monitoring checks using applicable testing materials, document management and control. You will also be asked to aid in SOP writing and development. This position has full responsibility for our SQF, Kosher, and Organic Certification programs.
At Excalibur, we afford our employees the opportunity to build lasting careers. We want every member of our team to feel like they make a significant impact on our organization. We work hard to ensure our employees are given every opportunity and available resource to help them succeed. It is because of this dedication, that Excalibur only hires the best, brightest and most driven to join our team.
So, if you want your work to make a difference, if you want to be a part of something special and if you want to be valued for your contributions – then we want to hear from you.
Position Responsibilities/Major Duties:
Responsibilities and accountability include, but not limited to:
- Responsible for maintaining HACCP plan; including meetings, changes, review or issues. Enduring HACCP plan is followed, and documentation is recorded for verification. Communicates with all plant management, quality control staff concerning all pertinent food safety and quality issues. Responsible as the contact with FDA in the event of a reportable food concern or any other food safety issue.
- Shall communicate to management whenever a regulatory inspector or outside customer inspector arrives at the plant. Report results of all inspections upon completion.
- Responsible for the communication and implementation of Good Manufacturing Policies and Guidelines. To include documentation of yearly employee GMP, HACCP training and bi-annual mock recalls with timely tracking results.
- Responsible for the communication and implementation of all Quality Policies. Ensure the recordkeeping and retention of ingredient statements, MSDS, HACCP, kosher and allergen documents, and foreign materials.
- Responsible for outside service/vendor compliance of all Quality Policies, GMP’s and SQF Standards.
- Ensure facility compliance of all plant departments, along with appropriate training.
- Participates in disposition of “Hold” & “Release” product is authorized in accordance with Quality Policies and Procedures.
- Responsible for tracking all product complaints, follow up with customers and reporting all findings.
- Shall communicate all microbiological issues and all contamination in accordance with Quality Policies.
- Coordinate product samples that are sent to outside testing facilities and the correct disposition of the sampled products using the outside test results.
- Manages and administers programs and policies required for SQF with Quality Audit certification.
- Functions as team leader when the plant conducts mock recalls and assesses management preparedness for a product recall.
- Reviews specifications (ingredients, packaging, processing, and finished products) for accuracy and resolves issues to assure capability to meet processing requirements.
- Manager also investigates errors, customer complaints, internal corrective actions and resolves them.
- Validates all cleaning procedures and keeps track of pre-op data
- Responsible for training new technicians
- Performs validation studies
- Writes COAs to customers
- Handle all sampling to the external labs
- Bachelor’s degree in Food Science or related field with minimum of 4+ years of related experience in the food service industry. Management experience in this field can override the need for a degree.
- Experience with diverse food industry products, especially within the shelf stable categories
- Ideal candidates must have demonstrated expertise in all food safety standards that are customary within the food industry and mandated by government regulations. Including but not limited to the Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP) management system required by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the standards set by the Safe Quality Food Institute (SQFI).
- Inquisitive, detail-oriented with strong quantitative analytical skills and an innovative approach to problem solving
- Experience overseeing direct reports
- 2+ prior SQF experience highly desired
- Excellent MS Office (Excel, MSQuery, Access, PowerPoint) capabilities required
- Demonstrated strong written communication and presentation skills required
- Self-motivated and directed
- Excellent attention to detail
- Must be able to sit for long periods on a computer
- Must be able to lift at least 50 pounds repeatedly
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- 401k Retirement plan with company match
- Group Life Insurance
- Paid vacations and holidays
- Long term disability insurance
- Summer hours from Memorial Day Through Labor Day
- Outstanding corporate culture
- Supportive management structure