CAREERS - FOOD TECHNOLOGIST
Excalibur is fast-becoming the food industry’s preferred meat & seafood seasoning company. Our tantalizing flavors are used by hundreds of customers in all 50 states and 7 countries – everyone from large chain grocers to food processors, from neighborhood meat shops to competitive grillers – they all count on the Legendary Quality & Royal Flavor that only Excalibur products can provide.
Headquartered in Illinois, Excalibur is a family-owned business with more than 33 years to our name. We continue to grow and expand every year because of the dedication and commitment of our employees. With over 90 employees and operating two production shifts, our commitment to quality is well documented. Excalibur has held an SQF, Level 3 certification, now called SQF Certification with Quality Audit, for many years. We are looking for a Food Technologist to be located at our Innovation Center in Pekin, Illinois.
At Excalibur, we afford our employees the opportunity to build lasting careers. We want every member of our team to feel like they make a significant impact on our organization. We work hard to ensure our employees are given every opportunity and available resource to help them succeed. It is because of this dedication, that Excalibur only hires the best, brightest and most driven to join our team.
So, if you want your work to make a difference, if you want to be a part of something special and if you want to be valued for your contributions – then we want to hear from you.
Position Responsibilities/Major Duties:
Responsibilities and accountability include, but not limited to:
- Fulfill sample requests from approved formulas, dry and liquid
- Raw materials – to be kept current in the lab and fulfilled for formulation and R & D samples.
- Allergens – to be identified in raw materials and clearly marked on containers. This is up-kept and monitored for any raw material used in formulation; purchased or experimental.
- Experimental ingredient library – to be up-kept and rotated on an annual basis. The
experimental library is evaluated, and out-of-date materials are purged, if not applicable, and fresh samples ordered for applicable materials.
- R & D retain samples; dry & liquid – to be maintained in an organize system.
- Current raw materials and raw materials used in formulation, but not purchased at the time, to have number tracking assigned
- Bench work – be able to adjust formulas when given a preliminary formula to work from and develop product with moderate guidance. Duplications – formulating and duplicate submitted samples by sales/customers. Duplicating a product may consist of the following factors: taste, visual (including color), viscosity, functionality, directions for use, usage levels, package size, matching ingredient statements, etc. Take project from start to finish. Evaluate, write formulas, create new and innovative products. Be able to formulate when there are specific requirements to meet, i.e.: nutritional needs.
- First batch to production – Approved products going into production: R & D must be able to conduct ‘first batch’ meetings, work with sales, communicate to production & QC specific product/customer needs. Audit first batch runs and approve quality tests with QC.
- Work with QC and understand testing preformed on new products going to production. Supply control retains to QC for testing of products going to first batch production
- Good understanding of raw materials and functional ingredients. Willingness to research, use sources and find out answers when challenged.
- Ingredient statements – have a good understanding of how to write ingredient statements and read them for formulation.
- Evaluation of Raw Materials – evaluate raw materials and specification sheets submitted by procurement for various reasons: pricing, availability, new supplier, etc.
- Education Initiatives – R & D continued education is very important. Opportunities in growth and education are always presented. Individual will also take initiative and apply themselves pertaining to R & D development and growth.
- Communication Skills – Will communicate with suppliers, customers, internal
sales/production/management. Requesting information, giving direction and communicating with customers is a daily practice and tech needs to be clear and communicative with others – as an individual and as a team
- Nutritionals – Know how to read a nutritional panel and work with nutritional software.
- Source new raw materials and work with suppliers; education regarding raw materials and functional ingredients taken to the next level.
- Sensory evaluations – Will conduct sensory evaluations, evaluate data and make recommendations based off data obtained. Evaluate samples, control products and formulas.
- Critique products with educated recommendations and possible adjustments that may be needed to create acceptable formulas.
- FDA/USDA requirements – researches and investigates guidelines and requirements for ingredient statements and nutritional panels – take it to the next level.
- Computer skills – excellent, takes initiative and knows all that is required and then some for daily projects.
- Bachelor’s degree in Food Science or related field required.
- Works independently. Takes project all the way from bench to production.
- Decision making skills – Confident in decision making and abilities. Needs to be able to perform all functions and make educated decisions when management is not available.
- Leader – this person coaches & mentors’ technicians. Leads product development projects that in general of larger scale and higher complexity; a lot of detail and organization.
- Marketing/Conceptual skills – works with chef/sales/management in creating applications for Excalibur products for presentations/shows/demos
- Core Competency of Excalibur products, consumer needs, trends and customer demands
- Health insurance
- Dental/Vision insurance
- 401k Retirement plan with company match
- Group Life Insurance
- Paid vacations and holidays
- Long term disability insurance
- Outstanding corporate culture
- Supportive management structure